Amissville Baptist Church
Established in 1887 and organized in December, 1888,
by a group composed of William Doyle, W.R. Nelson, Baldwin Spilman,
B.F. Bywaters, Edmund Leavell, and B.F. Luttrell, the Amissville
Baptist Church members elected Rev. M. R. Grimsley as first pastor
in January, 1889. He was paid an annual salary of $125 for two services
a month. In 1891 land was purchased on the east side of the road
from Amissville to Laurel Mills (present-day Viewtown Road) from
the inactive Protestant Episcopal church. A new church, using part
of the floor of the old one, was erected around its foundation.
The new church, erected at a cost of $1700, was dedicated in August,
1891. The current church building dates from 19_____.